2D drawing software / tools (to use with the laser cuter and the CNC)
2D vector drawing
- Inkcape : http://inkscape.org (free)
- Coreldraw ($)
- AutoCad ($)
- Illustrator ($)
- DraftSight : http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/ (free and $)
- Step one: Goto SDPSI (as an example) and click on a specific L timing pulley part number. (https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/Group/346#)
- Click on STC parts link and “download 3D models”.
- On new tab, select file format “step, .stp”
- Let the internal website software convert the file for you (takes 30 seconds) and click download
- Open the downloaded zip file containing a stp file, such as “a_6a_4-10df05016.stp”
- Open freecad and open the step file
- On the lefthand side, click the part name under “unnamed”
- Under the help menu there is a submenu selection tool. Select “Mesh Design” and the top menu will change to include “Meshes.”
- Select mesh > create mesh from geometry, and leave the value at 0.1 on the next screen. Hit enter.
- Now on the left hand side, click “mesh”
- On the meshes menu, select export mesh. Select “Binary STL.”
- You can now process this with Slicer, Tinkercad, Sketchup (with import library included on this site).
- Print free parts!!
Online : http://www.makercase.com/
- Radiolara : http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/radiolaria/ Radiolaria lets you manipulate a web of connected cells to create a huge variety of biologically-inspired patterns.
- QR stenciler : http://fffff.at/qr-code-stenciler-update/ Generate QR that can be lasercut and use as stencil.
- Barcode generator : http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/
3D from 2D layout
- 123DMake : http://www.123dapp.com/make Turn your amazing models into even more amazing build-your-own projects.
- QRC Sketchchair : www.sketchchair.cc SketchChair is a free, open-source software tool that allows anyone to easily design and build their own digitally fabricated furniture.
- Sketchup plugin for folding paper : http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/
- Lithophane : images (greyscale) to 3d print or CNC mill as low relief ("bas-relief") or lithophane http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/(free, online software)
3D like with 2D
- FlatFab : http://www.flatfab.com/
Wood joints for CNC milled furnitures
50 joints that you can download freely here : http://www.flexiblestream.org/Digital-Wood-Joints-001.php
Nesting software is a category of software that optimises the position of your drawing. It can place multiple different forms in an efficient way.
A free online tool is SVGnest